city at night

city at night

Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Couple of Shots

No, I'm not talking about a couple of shots of liquor in a bar.  I'm talking about innoculations.

(image taken from the web)

Yesterday I went to Target to buy a few things, and as I passed the in-store pharmacy, I figured that I might as well get my flu shot then and there.  I have received my flu shots while at Target at least a couple times in previous years.  At this time of year I am often doing some shopping in preparation for my October / November trip to Mexico... buying things for myself and buying gifts for Alejandro and his family... and Target was a convenient place to get my shot before heading south of the border.  Unfortunately, this year that trip is not going to happen, but it is more important than ever to have the flu shot.

The pharmacist asked me if I have had my shot for shingles.  I told her that I had a shot a few years ago, but that I had not yet had the newer, much more effective inoculation.  In fact, the last time I saw my doctor for a checkup, he had said that I should investigate as to whether my insurance would cover the new and improved shot.  I handed the pharmacist my insurance card, she ran it through, and yes, I was covered.  I received both shots without paying a penny.  The shingles inoculation is a series of two shots, so I will have to return in two months.

The pharmacist warned me that my arm would probably be sore from the shingles shot.  I have never had any problems with shots, but last night I noticed that my arm hurt as if someone had given it a hard punch.  It's still a bit sore this morning.
 
A word of advice to my readers, especially those who are senior citizens... please get your flu shot!  Our health care system is going to be stretched to the limit if they are dealing with a bad influenza season in addition to Covid19!   

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for getting your flu shot! I wish I could talk my 80 year old father into getting one. He's stopped using the argument that he got the flu from a flu shot once (you can't) and now is saying that he hasn't gotten the flu all these years he hasn't gotten the shot. *sigh* He's also a trumper who thinks the whole covid thing is overblown. *sigh*

    I have to make an appointment with my GP for some other stuff, so I'll get my flu shot from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, there are some people who will simply not listen to reason.
      Has he got a shingles shot or a pneumonia shot?

      Delete
  2. THanks for the reminder. My shot is covered in my annual membership to my doctor's practice, so I'll call on Monday!

    ReplyDelete