city at night

city at night

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Another Soap Opera

After finishing the Spanish soap opera "Gran Hotel", I started watching another piece of escapist fluff, a Mexican soap opera called "La Casa de las Flores".

(images taken from the web)

Actually, I'm not sure if soap opera is exactly the right word.  It is a dark comedy that is a satire of Mexican "telenovelas" as well as a satire of the upper classes of Mexico City.  And because it is a Netflix series, it is much racier than anything that you would see on the television networks down there.

It deals with the de la Mora family who own an upscale flower shop.  The matriarch of the family, played by well-known soap opera actress Verónica Castro, and  her older daughter are obsessed with maintaining the image of the perfect family.  The truth, however, is that there are plenty of skeletons in the de la Mora closet. 

After watching just one episode, I couldn't help but compare it to the U.S. series "Desperate Housewives".  After reading some articles about "La Casa de las Flores" on the internet, I saw that I was not the only one making comparisons.


As with the U.S. series, "La Casa de las Flores" begins with a suicide.  Roberta, the mistress of Ernesto de la Mora, hangs herself in the flower shop.  Roberta, speaking from beyond the grave, is the series narrator. 

 

The show may be escapist entertainment, but it also serves up in a humorous way some serious social commentary. I think I am going to enjoy "La Casa de las Flores".

2 comments:

  1. In Spanish? Are there subtitles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can watch it either in Spanish with English subtitles or dubbed into English. Personally I hate dubbed movies. I want to hear the actors' actual performances, even if its not in a language I understand.

      Delete