city at night

city at night

Friday, October 19, 2018

Remembering María Luisa

If you have been following this blog for some time, you know that last January, while I was in Mexico City, Alejandro's mother passed away.


María Luisa was a sweet, loving person whom I regarded as my ¨Mexican mom".

Wednesday was her birthday, and there was going to be a mass in her name.  I am not a churchgoer, but I was happy to accompany Alejandro, his father, his sister and nephew, and an aunt and uncle to the service.

The mass was held in the parish church just a few blocks away from Alejandro's home.



There must have been a wedding the weekend before because the interior of the church was decked out with flower arrangements.



I felt bad because I could not understand the mass.  I could only catch a word here and there. The sound system was not good, and the high ceilinged church was an echo chamber.  I was also fighting the urge to nod off, and I was glad that the priest could not see me because of the vase of flowers between us.  After the service I felt better when Alejandro and his uncle complained that they could not understand the priest either.  And his uncle admitted that he had fallen asleep.  

Afterwards we went back to the house, and sat around the dining room table.  Alejandro's sister served "café con crema" and the "pan de muerto" that we had bought the previous day.  I broke out the box of homemade fudge that I had brought.

In spite of not being able to understand the mass, it was a lovely family get-together, and a chance to remember a wonderful lady who remains in our hearts.

2 comments: