city at night

city at night

Monday, October 22, 2018

Dinner at "El Cardenal"

After watching the "Alebrije Parade" on Saturday afternoon, Alejandro and I walked a short distance to historic Plaza Tolsá.


Facing the plaza is a branch of our favorite restaurant chain in Mexico City, "El Cardenal".  I have written about "El Cardenal" numerous times on this blog.  Whenever we are downtown, we make it a point to eat either at the Plaza Tolsá restaurant or at the original location which is a few blocks away near the Zócalo.



Alejandro ordered a dish which I had never heard of... "mole de cadera". 


This stew-like dish is made from the meat of the "cadera" (hip) of a goat.  The goats that are raised especially for this dish are not allowed to drink water.  This supposedly gives the meat a distinctive flavor... but it sounds like animal cruelty to me!  I have never eaten goat before.  I had a taste of his dish, and I did not care for it.   Alejandro, however, said that it was delicious.

I had something less adventurous, chicken breast stuffed with spinach and covered in a goat cheese sauce.  It was very good.


I may not care for goat's hip, but I do like goat cheese.  I assume that the goats that are milked are raised under more humane conditions.  

For dessert I had my favorite dessert there... crepes filled with cheese and covered with mango and blackberry sauces.  I also had "café de olla"... coffee flavored with cinnamon and "piloncillo" (a type of brown sugar) and served in a earthenware mug.


By the time that we had finished our dinner, a group of drummers and dancers had come to the plaza to perform pre-Hispanic dances.


No comments:

Post a Comment