city at night

city at night

Monday, October 22, 2018

A Restaurant Discovery

I was looking on Google Maps for a restaurant to take my friends on the day that we visit Chapultepec Castle.  I found a potential place just a short walk from Chapultepec Park that receives good reviews.  It is called "Mirador de Chapultepec".  One half of the establishment is a traditional Mexican "cantina" which does not admit women.  The other half is a restaurant specializing in Mexican cuisine.

I wanted to check the place out before taking my friends there, so on Sunday afternoon Alejandro and I went there for dinner.  When we entered the restaurant was crowded with upper-middle class Mexican families, and we got the last table available in the dining room.  The décor seemed to me a throw-back to the 1950s with its dark wood paneling.

To drink we ordered a pitcher of "clericot", a wine concoction similar to "sangría".  We both ordered soup.  Alejandro had a lentil soup and I had beef broth with little cornmeal dumplings.  

As a  main course Alejandro had cubed chicken breast in a spicy "habanero" pepper sauce.





I had white fish fillets coated with almonds and served with tamarind sauce.




Both of our meals were delicious, and as you can see from the photos, the servings were very generous.  The bill for the two of us came to around 1200 pesos (over $60 U.S.), which is quite expensive by Mexican standards, but certainly worthwhile.  We were very pleased with "Mirador de Chapultepec", and it is on our list of places to take our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment