from airplane

from airplane

Monday, August 27, 2018

Treasures from Mexico

If you were following my account of my recent trip to Mexico you know that this time I went overboard buying handicrafts.  Usually the things that I buy are gifts for others or items to donate to a charity auction.  I have enough stuff in my house.  But this time there were several things that I really wanted for myself.



You may recall that Alejandro and I ate at a restaurant called "El Conejo en la Luna" (The Rabbit in the Moon) near the ruins of Teotihuacan.  The restaurant had a gift shop, and I saw this piece of pottery from the state of Michoacán that really appealed to me.  It is signed by the artist, a talented fellow by the name of Alfredo Trejo.

I was able to learn more about Señor Trejo on the internet.  He belongs to the third generation of artisans in his family, and he has been making pottery for 35 years.  He is noted for his use of color, and he has won numerous awards for his work.  Wow!  And now I have one of his creations in my home!


(Image taken from the web)






As I walking around Alejandro's neighborhood, a part of the city that is not frequented by tourists, I saw a vendor selling his pottery on the street.  Most of his merchandise consisted of flower pots, but he also had some clay figures of pre-Hispanic gods.  I purchased this image of the Mayan god of prosperity.  I told him that if he went to a different part of the city, he could probably sell a lot of his figures to tourists.  I was very afraid that this piece would break on the journey home.  I wrapped it in bubble wrap, put it in my carry-on, and it made it home in perfect condition.


Nor could I resist buying these two hand-painted plates, examples of glazed Talavera ware from Puebla.






This little jaguar head is now hanging on my bedroom wall.  It is from the workshop of Eugenia and Roberto Sosa from the town of San Martín Tilcajete, Oaxaca, which is famous for the creation of colorful "alebrijes"... hand carved and painted wooden animals.



I bought the piece at a handicraft exposition at the World Trade Center, and I talked with Roberto Sosa there.  I have also found their work on some upscale websites selling Mexican handicrafts.





Just across the aisle was the booth of Nestor and Leticia Melchor, who are also from the town of San Martín Tilcajete and who also make "alebrijes". 




The coyote figure which I bought from them is the most expensive item I purchased while I was down there. Since returning home I have found their work on some websites.  My coyote, which cost $250 US, was relatively inexpensive compared to many of their pieces which cost thousands of dollars.



If that seems like a lot a money, look at the incredible detail which is all painted by hand... with a very tiny brush!



This definitely is more than a handicraft; it is a work of art.

I can say that I brought home some real treasures on this trip!

1 comment:

  1. I know Alejandro Trejo and IF we ever connect again, I will take you to his studio in Tzinzunzan. I just sold my last piece of his work last week, very reluctantly. Only did it because I knew I could go to see him for more. The coyote is magnificent. I had no idea that their prices are that high now. I'm glad I was buying from these artesans back in the 70's,80's and 90's mostly. Still have tons to sell in the next few weeks. Oy vey. Your purchases are all wonderful! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete