city at night

city at night

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Social Saturday

On Saturday I tagged along with Alejandro to a couple of social engagements which he had to attend.

The first was a baptism.  Alejandro has kept in touch with many of the students that he had when he was a teacher.  One of his best students is now living in California.  Several months ago, she and her husband had a baby, and they came back to Mexico City to hold the baptism here.  Alejandro was invited to the ceremony.




Later in the afternoon we went to an 80th birthday party for a lady by the name of Marta, who was a very close friend of Alejandro's mother.  (As you may recall, his mom passed away last January.)  Marta was delighted to see Alejandro and wished that his mother could have been there.

The family went all out for party... renting a hall and serving a catered dinner.



Marta does not look 80, and throughout the evening she was very bubbly and energetic.

I was afraid that I was going to feel like an outsider.  I didn't know anyone, and I was the only "gringo" in the room.  However, for dinner we sat with one of Marta's sons, Juan.  Alejandro and Juan have been friends for years.  He's a really nice guy, and he made me feel very welcome.



Seated next to me was Juan's daughter who is an English teacher... so we had a lively conversation that constantly switched between Spanish to English.

After dinner, there was a DJ and dancing.  My only criticism of the evening... and something that is far too common at Mexican parties... was that the music was too loud.  It was impossible to hold a conversation.  However the eclectic variety of music was quite interesting.  Besides Latin tunes, there was Big Band music, disco music, Elvis Presley songs, and even Country Western songs. (I had never heard "Achey Breaky Heart" in Spanish before!)  And 80 year old Marta was cutting a rug on the dance floor!

I left the table to go to the restroom, and when I returned, things had really become wild.  There were balloons, silly hats, and a stilt-walker!







It's been ages since I have heard this song...
and Alejandro was there dancing along and doing all the moves...



It was a fun evening... 
and I hope that the family gets to have a big party for Marta's 90th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. A gentleman is comfortable everywhere he goes. I'm glad your "gentlemanliness" saw you through!

    ReplyDelete