city at night

city at night

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Following the Tribe from Afar

I'm not a big sports fan, but the spectator sport which I most enjoy is baseball.  However, I have not really followed my hometown team, the Cleveland Indians, since the 1990s when they had a string of good seasons which included an American league pennant championship in 1995.  Of course I had heard that the Indians were having a very good season this year, but, I am ashamed to admit, I was taken by surprise last week when I found out that they had made it to the World Series against the Chicago Cubs.  (Yeah, I guess I live under a rock!)

Yesterday was the first game of the series.  It was also the day that I left for Mexico.  When I arrived at the airport, it was obvious that Cleveland had a case of "Tribe Fever"... so many people were wearing Indians caps, shirts and jackets.  Even the ladies at the United Airlines desk were wearing team apparel.  I had plenty of time to kill, so I went into one of the airport shops and bought a Cleveland World Series cap for my friend Alejandro.

When I arrived in Mexico City around 8:00 PM I had to wait awhile for Alejandro to pick me up.  He was stuck in traffic.  When he finally arrived, what was he wearing but a Chicago tee-shirt that I had bought him some years ago on a trip to that city!

"Oh, no," I said.  I pulled the Cleveland cap out of the bag and plopped it on his head.

 
 Alejandro drove me to the apartment where I am staying.  While I started unpacking, he turned on the television and found the World Series broadcast live from Cleveland.  It was the eighth inning.  Cleveland was ahead, and then they got a home run to bring the score to 6-0.  We sat on the sofa and watched the final minutes of the game.


Today at 6:00 PM, I will be in front of the TV watching game two!  Go Tribe!

2 comments:

  1. I laughed at the part about Alejandro showing up in the Chicago t-shirt. Did he wear it on purpose to get your goat? (At least it wasn't a Cubs t-shirt, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it wasn't a Cub's shirt, and, no, he didn't wear it intentionally. However, he was razzing me last night when the Indians lost the second game.

      Delete