volcanoes

volcanoes

Friday, October 4, 2024

The First of the Season

 As the Day of the Dead approaches, more and more bakeries, cafés and restaurants are featuring the seasonal favorite... "pan de muerto" (bread of the dead).  No, bread of the dead is not, as Alejandro morbidly jokes, made from the ashes of the dead.  It is a sweet bread shaped like a round bun, with crossbones of dough on top.

Some places, such as Walmart, have been selling "pan de muerto" for over a month.  I, however, vowed that I would not eat any until October.

Today I was walking through the Condesa neighborhood, and I passed a bakery located near the Airbnb that I used to rent.  The bakery is called Gran Vía, and, although it is not very big, their breads and pastries are very good.  I could not resist looking in their window to see if they had bread of the dead.  They did, and they also had "pan de muerto" with chocolate filling.

I bought two.  One I ate as I was walking back to the apartment, and the other I will have tonight.  I guess we can say that the Day of the Dead season has begun for me.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment