sugar skulls

sugar skulls

Wednesday, October 23, 2024

La Ofrenda

Those who have followed this blog through several years of posts on the Day of the Dead, already know what an "ofrenda" is.   It is an altar that is set up in honor of those who have passed away.  Families will set them up in their homes, but you will also see public ofrendas in stores, restaurants, schools, museums and churches.

Yesterday I set up the "ofrenda" in my apartment.  Except for some finishing touches it is completed.  In past years, I have set it up in the guest bedroom on a credenza.  Now that I have a long table by the window in the living room for my house plants, the "ofrenda" is there.  I set a tall occasional table behind it and a folding snack tray in front to create the three levels that are traditional.  They represent heaven, earth and the underworld.  


Over the "ofrenda" I hung a string of banners made of "papel picado" (cut paper) which are also traditional.  The delicate nature of the paper represents the fragility of life.  It is also believed that the souls of the departed travel through the perforations in the paper as they come to visit on the Day of the Dead.




Marigolds (known here as "cempasúchil" from the Aztec name for the flower) are an integral part of the "ofrenda".  It is believed that their pungent smell guides the souls of the dead to the altar.  Skulls are also an important part of the "ofrenda".  Traditionally, sugar skulls with the names of the dead would be used.  Nowadays, you will find colorful ceramic skulls sold in all the markets.

I needed to buy a marigold.  I had seen some at Walmart that looked nice, but a couple of days later when I went back to buy one, they looked half-dead.  Obviously no one had bothered to water them.  A block down the street there is a man who sells house plants from the back of his van.  I walked down there, and he had some nice potted marigolds.  I bought one that had a lot of flowers and even some buds, and took it home.

My "ofrenda" is filled with photos of departed friends and relatives.  There are always candles on the altar.  I have some real candles, but most of them are electronic candles.  I need to buy some more batteries for them.  One of the real candles supposedly is scented with copal, a resin which has been used as a ceremonial incense since pre-Hispanic times.  Copal is burned to drive away evil spirits and to ensure that the souls arrive at the "ofrenda" without obstacles.  I don't plan on burning real copal in the apartment, but I might buy one of the clay incense burners that are traditionally used and place the candle in that.




 
On the lower level of the altar, I have already filled a small bowl with salt which purifies the souls.  I have a small clay jug and cup that I will fill with water.  It is to quench the thirst of the souls.  On the plate I will place a "pan de muerto" (bread of the dead) to nourish the souls.


The only element which I do not have is a religious symbol such as a cross or a picture of a saint.  The custom of setting up an altar in honor of the dead goes back to pre-Hispanic times.  The Aztecs devoted an entire month to welcome the dead back to the realm of the living, and would make offerings of food and drink to sustain them.  After the Spanish conquest, the Catholic missionaries allowed the people to continue the ritual with the stipulation that it be observed on All Souls' Day (November 2nd) and that the "ofrenda" include Catholic symbols.

As I was writing this, I realized that I have a small image of the Virgin of Guadalupe that a friend gave me many years ago.  I will put that on the top level by the marigold.

No comments:

Post a Comment