zocalo

zocalo

Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Supper with a Blogger

Last Saturday was the Gay Pride Parade in Mexico City, an annual event which draws hundreds of thousands of participants and spectators.  The rain, which has been a daily occurrence for nearly two weeks, fortunately held off until after the parade was over.

Alejandro and I did not attend the parade, but later in the evening we went to the Monument of Independence along the Paseo de la Reforma, the starting point of the parade.  There were still large numbers of people along the boulevard, and the monument was illuminated in rotating rainbow colors.




(I had forgotten my camera, so Alejandro took these photos with his cell phone.)


Our purpose in going there was to meet with Alfredo, the author of the blog "El Rancho Santa Clara", and his husband Stew for supper.  We had never met, but I have been reading Al's blog for quite a few years.  (You will find a link to it at the right-hand margin under "My Blog List".)   Al and Stew have been together for fifty years and retired to Mexico fifteen years ago. They own a "rancho" outside of San Miguel de Allende.  When I commented on one of his recent blog entries, he asked me if I would like to get together when they came to Mexico City for the Pride Parade.  So, we made plans to meet for supper after the parade.

I choose "Fondo del Recuerto", a restaurant specializing in the cuisine of the state of Veracruz, as our meeting place.  You might remember that I wrote about eating there a while ago, and that I thought the food was very good.  Since, it's not far from the hotel where Al and Stew were staying, I figured that it would be a good place to meet.

I had made reservations ahead of time for 8 PM.  We arrived a bit early, and Al and Stew showed up right on time.  I did not think my meal was as good as on my previous visit, but the company and conversation were excellent.  We were there for two hours until closing time.


Stew to the left and Al to the right

When I told them about some of the places and events in Mexico City, they said that they will have to visit the city more often.  I told them that I would thoroughly enjoy playing "tour guide".  It was a delightful evening, and we look forward to seeing them again in the future!

 

2 comments:

  1. So glad you met two of my most favorite friends! Hope ya'll come back to SMA some day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to take a weekend trip to San Miguel!

      Delete