Independence Day

Independence Day

Friday, July 26, 2024

Fair of the World

Last Saturday, Alejandro and I went to an event called "Feria del Mundo" (Fair of the World).  We are pretty sure that this was the same event that we were unable to attend last May since the streets around the National Palace were blocked off due to pre-election protests.  This time the fair was held far from the Historic Center at the Museum of Popular Cultures in the southern district of Coyoacán.


Alejandro at the entrance to the museum


Booths representing different countries were set up in the open areas of the museum.  There were supposed to be more than fifty countries, but I think that there were far less.  The booths sold handicrafts, souvenirs and food from their respective nations.







  

A lady dressed in the native attire of Korea



I chatted with this lady at the Ecuador booth.  From my trip to that country many years ago, I recognized her attire as that of the indigenous Otovalo people who are famous for their handwoven woolen textiles.

One of the reasons that I wanted to come to this event was to see if there were any dolls for sale.  You may recall that I send dolls to the daughters of a friend.  I hoped that I would be able to buy some dolls from countries other than Mexico.  I got a doll from the Czech Republic (shown below) and one from Colombia.


The event was very crowded, but when we went into the food tent to get something to eat, it was even more crowded.


We did, however, manage to get a tasty German sausage sandwich and a delicious "croque monsieur" from the French stand.
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment