from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Jacaranda Question

Mexico City is graced with thousands upon thousands of jacarandas.  From late winter through early spring these trees bloom, and the city is awash with their violet blossoms.  In the past, when I would spend close to two months here in the winter, the first trees would be flowering before my departure at the end of February.  When I would return in April for Easter, the flowering season would be drawing to a close.



Some jacarandas are now blooming, but I don't think that it is going to be a very spectacular or long-lived flowering season.  The trees are deciduous.  They drop their leaves in the winter.  After blooming, the trees then sprout new leaves.  Last month, I noticed that many of the trees had leaves without ever having blossomed.  Now that some of the trees are blooming, I am doubtful as to how long the flowers will last.  The flowers usually drop with the heat of April when temperatures rise into the 80s F.  However, this year the spring heat has arrived early.  For the last two weeks the high temperature has been above 80 degrees every day, and the forecast for the next two weeks is the same.  I doubt that there will be any jacaranda flowers left by Easter.


2 comments:

  1. They are just now starting to bloom here in SMA, which is typical, but in the next two weeks will be in full bloom as our temperatures will be in the high 80's. They bloom into April. They are so incredibly beautiful..........They provide nectar for the Monarchs as they start to head north from the sanctuaries just south of us!! Such a spectacular sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about the monarch butterflies.
      As I said, I doubt that the flowers here in Mexico City will last into April. Yesterday's high temperature was 87 degrees, and today it is supposed to reach 89. The blossoms are already falling.

      Delete