from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Handicrafts!

If you have read this blog for any length of time, you know that I am a sucker for Mexican handicrafts.  When I made the move from Ohio to Mexico, I brought down many of my favorite pieces, and I continue to buy more down here.

My friend and fellow-blogger, Barbara from San Miguel de Allende, e-mailed me and told me that there was going to be an exposition and sale of works by Mexico City artisans at the Franz Mayer Museum last weekend.  Franz Mayer was a German immigrant who came to Mexico in the early 20th century.  He had a passion for Mexican decorative arts, and when he died, he donated his collection of more than 9000 pieces to create a museum, which is housed in a 16th century colonial hospital.

On Saturday, we went downtown to the museum for the exposition.

Alejandro and I pose by large images of the traditional "María" and "Juan" rag dolls that have become an iconic symbol of Mexico and its handicrafts.





The show was small, with only about thirty artisans displaying their work.  However, their work was top quality, and I ending up buying a lot of beautiful merchandise.

This fellow creates objects out of papier mâché.  I bought a small jaguar head to add to the collection that I have hanging on the wall of my apartment.




  

This lady creates objects of "papel picado", the cut paper that is used as holiday banners.  I bought a small, framed piece of "papel picado" to add to my Day of the Dead "ofrenda".



This artisan creates jewelry by encasing real orchid blossoms in plexiglass.  I bought a small pendant to give to Alejandro's sister for her birthday.





This lady does decorative pieces in stained glass.  I bought a picture of a boatman on the canals of Xochimilco that I already have hanging in my guest bathroom.





Finally, this gentleman creates absolutely amazing pictures out of "popotillo".  "Popotillo" is an art form that dates back to pre-Hispanic times.  The straw-like fibers of the "zacatón" plant are used to create works of art.




I have seen plenty of "popotillo" in handicraft markets, but I have never seen such beautiful, detailed work such as this man does.  I ended up buying two of his pieces... a bouquet of flowers, and a Mexican street scene.  The street scene is already framed and under glass.  I will have to have the other one framed with glass.




 

I went away from the show very happy with my wonderful treasures!

4 comments:

  1. The popotillo pieces are extraordinary! Not many artesans doing that craft anymore. BTW, have you been to the Museo Arte Popular. Their gift store is the best I have ever been to anywhere in the world. And the museum in the old firehouse is incredible. Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised it was such a small market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first, when I saw how small it was, I was disappointed. But when I saw the quality of the handicrafts, and how much I wanted to buy, I was so happy that I went. Thank you so much for letting me know about it.
      I have been to el Museo de Arte Popular more times than I can count. It is my favorite small museum in Mexico City, and I go back every time they have a special exhibit.

      Delete
  2. I especially love the stained glass. What beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was admiring it but did not buy it at first. Later, as we were sitting in the museum café, Alejandro said, "That would be nice in the guest bathroom." So, once we had finished our drinks, we went back and bought the stained glass.

      Delete