flowers

flowers

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

My "Axolotl" Has Arrived

I wrote earlier about the new 50 peso bill which won an international award as the most beautiful new banknote of the year.  I also wrote that an enterprising Mexican company is producing towels, bedspreads and throws with the image of the bill.  Alejandro ordered a throw for me online.  It arrived within a few days (obviously via a private delivery company, not by the ridiculously slow Mexican Postal Service).

So here I am with my new throw...


The throw shows a facsimile of the reverse side of the bill, except that the "axolotl", an endangered species of salamander is depicted as a smiling, cartoon figure.

This is what the reverse side of the banknote actually looks like...

(Image taken from the internet)

In the background are the canals and so-called "floating gardens" of Xochimilco, located on the south side of Mexico City.  Back in pre-Hispanic times, when much of the Valley of Mexico was covered with a shallow lake, the Aztecs build artificial islands on which to grow crops.  Xochimilco is all that remains of that ecosystem, and is the only remaining habitat of the "axolotl" in the wild.

Meanwhile I am STILL waiting to get my first new 50 peso banknote.  The last time I went to the bank I asked the teller if they had any of the new bills, and he said no.

No comments:

Post a Comment