city at night

city at night

Friday, March 16, 2018

Souvenirs for Charity

I wrote in my last post that each year I do a painting to donate to the spring auction for "Los Amigos de las Américas".  During my travels to Mexico I also pick up a number of small items for their silent auction table of Latin American handicrafts.  I love to shop in the handicraft stores and markets when I am in Mexico, but I really don't need more "stuff" in my house.  So this provides me with an excuse to go shopping.  Here are the items which I have collected during the course of the last year for the auction...


A child's "lucha libre" mask



A trivet made from Yucatecan sisal and a small woven bag



A woven rattle in the shape of a pig, a doll of a Mexican boy, and another doll made from corn husks



A hand painted Christmas ornament, a small wooden cross with designs typical of the state of Guerrero, and a child's wooden toy



A wooden bowl and spoon for salsa



A couple of metal bookmarks
I found these in a bookstore in the historic center of Mexico City.
They had a wide variety of different designs.


A couple of small paintings which I bought at the Sunday art market in the Mexico City neighborhood of San Angel





And finally a framed picture painted on a real feather.
This is from Mérida, Yucatán.



No comments:

Post a Comment