city at night

city at night

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Time to Paint

Those of you who have followed my blog since its beginning know that each year I do a landscape painting which I donate to the charity auction for the Ohio chapter of "Los Amigos de las Américas".  "Los Amigos" is a non-profit, non-sectarian organization which sends high school and college students to poor communities in Latin America to do volunteer work. This year's auction will be held on April 2, so it is time for me to get busy with my painting.

Often I do a painting based on a photograph which I have taken on one of my trips to Mexico or Spain.  This year, however, I have chosen this picture which I found on the web.


It is a view of Pico de Orizaba, the tallest mountain in Mexico.  Also known by its Aztec name of Citlaltepetl, it is located on the border of the Mexican states of Veracruz and Puebla.  The dormant volcanic peak has an elevation of 18,491 feet, and is the third highest mountain in North America.

Hopefully my painting of this scene will turn out well, and will bring in some money for a very worthwhile cause.


3 comments:

  1. Bill, I can't resist, but are you 100% sure that the mountain pictured isn't La Malinche? You know, you can never be too sure with those Mexican volcanoes. Tricky things they are, haha.

    By the way, if you can, you could paint that scene as moonlit and it'd be amazing.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    CDMX, México
    Where we've completely lost track of all the volcanoes surrounding us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I was actually considering doing a painting of La Malinche, but I thought that Pico de Orizaba would be more impressive.
      A painting of the mountain in moonlight would be spectacular, but... 1) I have already started the painting, and 2) I have never done a night scene before. With only a month to go, I don't have time to experiment.
      Speaking of volcanoes, have you had any days where you could see Popo and Izta?
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
    2. Hola Bill! The air quality here has been "mala" much of the time, and I haven't been high enough up or in a sufficiently big open space to have been able to see Popo or Izta anyway.

      Saludos!

      KG

      Delete