city at night

city at night

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

One of My Crazy Concoctions

I enjoy cooking, but I don't care to fuss when I am cooking for myself.  One quick and easy dish which I concocted is something which I jokingly refer to as "Bill's mole".  ("Mole" is a type of Mexican sauce, and there are many different varieties.)   I can't say that I have seen any "moles" in Mexico similar to my sauce, but it is inspired by some of the ingredients used in Mexican cooking.  When I describe it to people, they often react with disbelief or disgust.  However I have made this dish several times for my Mexican friend Alejandro, and he really likes it.  (And, I might add, Alejandro is a connoisseur of "mole".)

I don't have measurements for this recipe.  It's one of those things where I throw things together to taste.  I begin by sautéing some chopped onion and bell pepper in olive oil.  Then I mix in a large can of tomato sauce and some bottled hot sauce.  Then I add the ingredients that people find strange...  a dollop of peanut butter, a squirt of chocolate syrup and some cinnamon.  (Peanut, chocolate and cinnamon are common ingredients in "moles".)  I thoroughly stir it all together, and let it simmer for a few minutes, and it's ready to go. 



I serve it over pasta or, as shown above, over rice with chunks of chicken breast.  It may sound strange, but it really is tasty!       

2 comments:

  1. It sounds much less complicated the the mole amarilla I learned to make with a well known chef in Oaxaca. It literally took almost 8 hours of hard work. I ate it then, but have never cared to make it again......I like quick and easy and delicious things.......good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most "moles" take hours of preparation. Too much work for me!

      Delete