from airplane

from airplane

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Our Home in Oaxaca

My friend Jane and I have settled into the two bedroom apartment which we are renting during our stay in Oaxaca.  The small apartment complex is located in a neighborhood  called Xochimilco about a twenty minute walk from the city center.

The apartment is very interesting and unusual.  I would call the decor eclectic; Jane calls it bohemian... it's definitely non-traditional, and definitely not boring.  The apartment is filled with unique (at times bizarre) pieces of art and decorative touches as well as Oaxacan handicrafts

 The apartment complex from the street.

 Jane at the entrance to our apartment.  (One hazard is that we must be careful not to run into the prickly pear cactus as we go out the door.)


The living and dining area lead to the kitchen.

The wall next to the front door is a blackboard on which guests have left their doodling, messages and tourist recommendations.

From the kitchen we can go out to our own private courtyard.

I wouldn't decorate my own home in this manner, but the place is comfortable and fun.  I think that we will enjoy our stay here.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That place is muy padre!!! You seem to get the best digs when traveling. I'm going to have to take some notes from you when we next meet.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where our own house is traditional, perhaps too much so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit bizarre, but fun. Definitely not like any hotel room one is likely to find.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  2. That looks like an interesting apartment. Can you walk to centro historico? I'm staying at the Learning Centre apartment on Murgia this visit but I'm always looking for alternative accommodation.It really is an adventure to experience other peoples' decor, music and books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perhaps a 20 minute walk to the centro. But all those calories expended in walking justify indulging at the restaurants!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE it although it doesn't look like the furniture is particularly comfortable. Good choice!

    I stayed in a little inexpensive hotel that served the most amazing breakfasts I've had anywhere in Mexico. I'll have to dig out the name of it. The walk to the main zocalo was about 10 minutes. I would stay there again, probably........very quiet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beds are comfortable, and that's the most important thing.

      Delete
  4. AJ-You look fabulous standing there with the sunshine on your face and the cactus beside you. And the apartment...well, it suits you perfectly. Eclectic, just like you! Love and kisses..Stac'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Aunt Jane says, "You should see me drinking mezcal!"

      Delete