from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

On to Mexico City

Yesterday Jane and I left Oaxaca.  Jane flew home to Ohio, and I took a bus to Mexico City where I will spend three more weeks away from the cold north of the border.

I took the ADO-GL bus line from Oaxaca to Mexico.  ADO (the letters stand for "Autobuses del Oriente"... "Buses of the East") is one of Mexico's largest first class bus lines, and their routes cover most major cities to the east and south of Mexico City.  I have been traveling on ADO since the 1970s, and it is a safe, reliable and comfortable bus line.

In the 1990s, ADO began its "GL" service.  I'm not sure what the letters "GL" stand for, but it might be "Gran Lujo" (Great Luxury).  The GL buses go beyond the normal comfort of the ordinary ADO buses.  They are better than riding first class on an airline, and are great for traveling long distances.  (ADO started an even more luxurious line called "Platino" - "Platinum", but I have not yet had the opportunity to ride one of those buses.)  I bought my ticket about a week ahead of time, and there was a special promotion going on.  My ticket cost only 412 pesos (only $28 US!)

(photo taken from the web)

My ADO-GL bus left promptly from Oaxaca's first-class bus station at 10:30 A.M.  The 6.5 hour journey crosses the mountains of the Sierra Madre del Sur.  The scenery at times (especially in the northern part of the state of Oaxaca) was quite spectacular... rugged mountains peaks covered with cactii.  The highway is a relatively new toll road.  Even though it is only a two lane road, it cuts quite a bit of time off of the old, twisting road that went through every town along the way.  I can only imagine what an arduous, interminable journey it must have been in colonial times!

My friend Alejandro met me at the bus station in Mexico City, and drove me to the apartment that I have rented for my stay here.  

So here I am, once again, in one of the world's largest cities.  The sky is a bit smoggy today, but the expected high temperature is 77... a big improvement over the weather right now in Ohio!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment