flowers

flowers

Monday, April 8, 2024

Pre-Eclipse Festivities

For the first several days of my Ohio visit, I am staying with my high school friend Duffy and his husband Carlos.


 If you are a regular reader of this blog, you probably remember them from earlier posts.  Although they divide their time between their apartments in San Juan, Puerto Rice, and Miami, they often come back to Ohio.  Since Duffy's mom passed away, Duffy has been spending a lot of time in Ohio at the house that he inherited from his mom.  They both came to Ohio to view the eclipse, and they invited me to stay with them.

Yesterday, they planned a small pre-eclipse party.  Before the guests arrived, I presented them with a couple of gifts that I had brought from Mexico.  Since they both enjoy wine, I brought a bottle from the Mexican state of Querétaro, an area that is becoming well known for its vineyards.  I know nothing about wine, and I chose the bottle because of the picture of a masked Mexican wrestler on the label.  I also brought a pair of wine glasses that I had bought at a handicraft bazaar last Christmas.  They are made of blown glass and come from the city of Guadalajara.


Around 5:00 the small group of guests arrived.  The weather was pleasant enough that we were able to sit out on the patio (wearing jackets) until dark and enjoy wine and a spread of snacks.


Our congenial group consisted of Carlos, Duffy, Gayle (another classmate who still lives in her childhood home in Berea, Ohio), Heather (another member of our graduating class who traveled from Virginia for the eclipse), me, and Duffy's niece Jasmine.

It was a very enjoyable prelude to today's eclipse party!


No comments:

Post a Comment