flowers

flowers

Monday, August 9, 2021

Red Alert

It is wonderful to be here with my dear "Mexican family", but this is definitely NOT the time for anyone to be here simply for a vacation.  

As of today Mexico City is on "red alert" for COVID, the maximum level of warning in Mexico's "traffic light" monitoring system.  Mexico City (which has the status of a state) is one of seven states in Mexico that are on the "red light" as of today.  In the entire country there is only one state, Chiapas, which is at the "green light" level of risk.

Throughout this pandemic, the policy of the government has been to limit the amount of COVID testing.  As a result, the official statistics are a gross underestimation of the true situation.  In spite of that, the "official" numbers of cases have spiked to a level not seen since last January. 

The "red light" is supposed to mean that non-essential businesses are closed, but business, for the most part, seems to be continuing as normal.  The President insists that schools will reopen this month... even though the teachers were vaccinated with the relatively ineffective Chinese vaccine.  But at least masks will be required in the schools, unlike certain idiot governors in the U.S. who declare that there will be no mask mandates.

It does seem that the general population here is taking the situation more seriously than in the U.S.  Walking around Alejandro's neighborhood I see that even outside the majority of the population is wearing a mask.  Of course there are those who do not, and there are those who wear their mask below their nose (which is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine).  In comparison, back home in Ohio, I would be one of only a handful wearing a mask in the supermarket.

The surge in the virus hit home in Alejandro's neighborhood.  Just before my arrival, one of their neighbors died of COVID.  On Friday I heard a band playing on the street.  I went to see what was going on, and it was a funeral procession for the deceased neighbor.  It is not uncommon to hire a small band for these processions.  The neighbor was cremated, so there was no casket carried through the streets.  And it seems to be de rigueur for firecrackers to be set off for funerals.


 

Needless to say, I am being extremely cautious, not just for myself, but for my "Mexican family".

4 comments:

  1. It's of growing concern here that some states won't mandate masks at school. It's so upsetting since most children have not received the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Mexico there is talk of giving the teachers a second dose of the Chinese vaccine. It's a one dose vaccine, but they think a second dose might make it more effective.

      Delete
  2. This is both sad and unsurprising. I'm really, really missing my beloved CDMX, but even though I'm fully vaccinated, I just don't feel safe traveling to such a crowded city while this pandemic rages. Though it's fine in short segments such as visits the grocery store, I don't enjoy walking around all day in a mask.

    (And speaking of grocery store visits, I am usually one of perhaps two shoppers who still regularly wears masks. Am I overcautious? Yes. But are people gross and dumb? Also yes.)

    Enjoy your visit, but stay safe!

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott.
      I tend to be overly cautious also, not just for myself, but also to protect Alejandro and his family. They (except for his nephew Ezra) are also vaccinated, but we have seen that, while the vaccines work well, they are not infallible.
      Back home I do not generally wear a mask when I am taking a walk, but here in this crowded city it is another story. I don't really like wearing my N-95 all day long, but I am getting used to it.

      Delete