from airplane

from airplane

Friday, November 8, 2013

A Mexican Breakfast

Yesterday I made myself a traditional Mexican breakfast of "chilaquiles".  Back home, "chilaquiles" are my specialty, but I make a very complicated main course version of the dish.  You could compare it to lasagna.  It's a casserole with alternating layers of tortillas; a mixture of shredded chicken, onions and salsa; and sour cream.  It's topped with cheese and put in the oven.  A Mexican friend once called it  "chilaquiles de lujo"... deluxe "chilaquiles".

Obviously I wasn't going to spend all that time just to make breakfast.  But I wanted to use up some tortillas that were several days old, so I made a very simple version of the dish.  I sauteed some onion and garlic, added a small carton of salsa, tore up some tortillas into pieces, added some Oaxaca cheese that I had in the fridge, stirred it up, and let it simmer a while.  The result was pretty good.  I garnished the "chilaquiles" with some raw onion, and  I served it with a side of refried beans


                                  ¡Buen provecho!

2 comments: