from airplane

from airplane

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Welcome to December!

Yesterday, the last day of November, we had rain all day, and yard started to flood as it always does when we have heavy rain.  Overnight the temperature dropped, and the rain turned to snow.  This is what I woke up to this morning...






Judging from the snow piled on the table on the patio, we had 7.5 inches of snow (19 cm.). We are supposed to have some more snow this morning with a total of 10 inches forecast.  It was a heavy wet snow, the kind that sticks to all the branches.  It's pretty to look at, but that kind of snow can be problematic.  As you see in the third picture, a large branch from one of my trees in the back yard is weighted down all the way to the ground.  Hopefully, when the snow melts, the branch will rise back into place.  When I drove (very slowly!) to the supermarket this morning, I noticed a number of large branches had broken along my street.  The electric and telephone wires are weighted down also, but fortunately none of them in the neighborhood have broken.  I certainly don't want another 25 hour power outage like the one we had a couple weeks ago!

2 comments:

  1. Our power flickered. The center where I worked didn't have any power, so I got a call at 7:30 that we had a snow day. I was scheduled to be off this morning, so I went back to sleep. It took my dad and I a good 30 minutes to get his truck cleaned off so he could go to the grocery store. My brother is coming tonight to plow the driveway, It's a good thing the center was closed. I don't think I would have been able to get out of the driveway and our street didn't get plowed until 2 pm or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to get out of the driveway this morning, but using the snow blower later was difficult because the snow was so wet and heavy.
      I realized that the branch that appears to be bent to the ground in the photo, is actually partially snapped. After the snow is gone I am going to have to call someone to take care of it.

      Delete