city at night

city at night

Saturday, December 26, 2020

A Mexican Christmas Eve

I was home alone for Christmas Eve and for Christmas, but I was busy preparing a couple of dishes that are traditional for Christmas Eve in Mexico.

There are many versions of "Ensalada de Nochebuena"... Christmas Eve Salad... but almost all of them include beets.  I followed, more or less, a recipe from one of my Mexican cookbooks.  


I used a bag of salad greens that was mainly composed of chopped Romaine lettuce.  Rather than cook, peel, slice and chill fresh beets, I simply bought a can of sliced beets.  I added the segments of one navel orange, and sliced up one banana.  (I dipped the pieces of banana in lime juice to help keep it from discoloring.)  Instead of "jícama" I sliced up an apple (also dipped in lime juice).  I made a very simple dressing with apple cider vinegar, a bit of salt, and a couple spoonsful of sugar stirred in.  The salad was garnished with pomegranate seeds and unsalted peanuts.  It was very good!

A very traditional dish for Christmas Eve, even though it comes from Spain, is "bacalao a la vizcaína"... Basque-stye codfish.  Alejandro gave me a recipe that his mom used to make.  It was much easier and cheaper; it uses canned tuna fish instead of salted cod.  I use the word "recipe" loosely, because Alejandro gave me no measurements or quantities... just throw things together.  

I started by sautéing chopped onion (I used one white onion) and minced garlic in olive oil.  (Alejandro said that the onion and garlic should be put into cold olive oil and that it should be heated together on the stove.)  When the onion started to get tender, I threw in a can of diced tomatoes, and I let that cook for a bit.  I seasoned the mixture with black pepper, thyme, oregano, and marjoram.  I added four 5 oz. cans of chunk, light tuna, drained.  Next came some fresh, chopped parsley; a jar of sliced, green olives with pimento, drained; a 3 oz. jar of capers, drained; and some slivered almonds.  I let it cook until thoroughly heated.

In Mexico this fish stew is often served on "tostadas" (crisp tortillas) or like a sandwich on "bolillos", the typical Mexican crusty rolls.  I toasted some split Kaiser rolls, and served it on them.  


I have no idea how it compares with Alejandro's mom's recipe, but this faux "bacalao a la vizcaína" was very tasty.  I will definitely make it again... and I won't wait for Christmas Eve!

 


2 comments:

  1. I may give this a try! We often have tuna mixed with mayo, celery, onion and pimentos on English muffins covered with cheese and broiled. Cornerstone in Berea makes something similar with chicken salad. Do you ever go there? The menu is very good! http://www.cornerstonebrewing.com/berea_menu.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like tuna I think you will like this. Even Alejandro, who does NOT care for tuna, likes this dish.
      I went to Cornerstone ages ago and was not impressed. Perhaps they are better now.

      Delete