city at night

city at night

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Carvings from Yucatán

A while ago I posted a couple of entries with photos of the handicrafts that I have in my room.  Here is some more of the Mexican décor that I have in my house...

In the spare bedroom that I have converted into a computer room and art studio, there are wood carvings from the state of Yucatán.  These are copies of stone carvings that are found on the ruins of Mayan temples.

On the closet doors are these larger carvings which I bought at a woodcarver's workshop in the town of Izamal.





Many years ago I visited the Mayan ruins of Labná.  The caretaker of the site was also a woodcarver.  At the entrance to the ruins under a thatched roof, he had his work for sale.  I picked up several smaller carvings which represent Mayan hieroglyphs.  The carver wrote on the back what each one means.  These are attached to the cupboard doors above my computer desk.  




No comments:

Post a Comment