from airplane

from airplane

Saturday, May 9, 2020

But the Calendar Says It's May!

Yesterday I decided I was not going to work in the garden.  Although it was not raining, the temperature was a chilly 37 F (3 C).   My decision was confirmed when I saw specks of white floating in the air.  It was May 8th, and it was trying to snow! 

The Great Lakes region and the northeastern United States were being hit by a polar vortex bringing rare May snowfall.  Higher elevations of Maine received eight inches of snow.

(image from the Weather Channel)

When I woke up this morning the temperature was 32 F (0 C) and the ground and rooftops were covered with a dusting of snow.


Of course the science deniers are going to say that this simply proves that global warming is a bunch of baloney.  That is why I prefer the term "climate change" to "global warming", because while the average temperature of the globe is rising, it will result in unusual weather phenomena.  That includes polar vortices making their way southward with greater frequency. 

Anyway, I just want to get back to normal May weather, so that I can work in my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment