from airplane

from airplane

Friday, November 28, 2014

"Where in Mexico?" Quiz

One of the blogs which I regularly read is "The Mexile" (you will find the link on my "bloglist" to the side).  It is written by Gary Denness, a fellow from England who lived in Mexico for a number of years.  On his latest entry, he posted a photo of a mural painting in Mexico, and asked his readers if anyone could identify it.  We quickly were able to name the artist, but, as of yet, no one has been able to identify the location of the painting.

I have enjoyed trying to figure it out, so I thought I would be a blatant copycat, and post my own little quiz. 

I went through an old photo album, and pulled out a picture that I took back in 1973 when I was a college student studying at the University of the Americas in Cholula, Mexico.  (Back in those days I was using a little "Kodak Instamatic" camera.)

So here is the photo...

 
 
I'm not going to ask you to name the artist, since.he was not internationally famous. (But kudos to you if you can... and even more kudos if you can spell his Nahuatl name correctly!)
 
 
Can any of my well-traveled readers tell me where this colorful mural painting is located?  I will tell you that it is not in Mexico City, but it is within a couple hours drive from the capital.
 
¡Buena suerte!
 
UPDATE: I had one incorrect guess on the location of the mural, so I will give you a clue...
                   It's location is to the east of Mexico City.
 
UPDATE: Another reader incorrectly guessed Puebla.  Here's another clue...
                 Unlike Puebla, which was founded by the Spanish, this city has Pre-Hispanic
                 roots.
 
UPDATE: We have a winner!  A reader by the name of Joan correctly answered Tlaxcala. 
 
The city of Tlaxcala is the capital of the state of Tlaxcala, the smallest state in Mexico.  It is located about two hours to the east of Mexico City.  In Pre-Hispanic Mexico the Tlaxcaltecas were one of the few tribes of central Mexico not to be subjugated by the Aztecs.  When the Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés arrived on the scene, the Tlaxcaltecas allied themselves with the Spanish against their enemies, the Aztecs.  Without their help, Cortés might not have succeeded in conquering Mexico.
 
The photo above is of small section of a series of murals in the government palace of Tlaxcala.  They were painted by a local artist by the name of Desiderio Hernández Xochitiotzin (1922-2007).  The paintings depict the history of Tlaxcala. (The portion above shows the chieftains of the tribe.)  Xochitiotzin began the murals in 1967, and upon his death he still was not finished.  The paintings are considered the last large scale work of the Mexican muralist movement.
 
Congratulations to Joan for answering correctly!!
 
 
 
 


16 comments:

  1. Not me! Unless possibly Cuernavaca ............really just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Barbara, not in Cuernavaca. You went in the wrong direction from D.F. But at least you tried!

      Delete
  2. Tlaxcala!

    (I'm) Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Joan! You are correct!!! I am impressed. Not that many people outside of Mexico have even heard of Tlaxcala.

      Delete
  3. Well! In all honesty I simply looked at the map
    of Mexico and chose Puebla and then Tlaxcala
    after your clues were given! A Pre-Hispanic city
    a couple of hours east of DF! Although I am pretty
    familiar with Mexico, love Mexico, and love Mexican
    artistry. There is a very good modern day muralist
    in San Miguel name of David Leonardo, his themes
    are ancient. Thanks for the quiz!! Next?!
    Joan


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Joan.
      Glad you enjoyed the quiz! I'll have to think up another one soon.
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete
  4. I must confess, I had no idea. But then, I never did get to Tlaxcala. Or Cholula for that matter. Puebla, yes, but just for an overnight stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary,
      Well then, I don't feel bad that you didn't have a chance to guess before it was answered correctly.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  5. Well, I'm too late. But there's a not-so-secret way of figuring this stuff out: Google Image Search.

    Here's the web page which gave me the info I'd need to be the winner if I weren't so darn sluggish.
    https://genuinetourist.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/murals-the-ancient-market-of-tlaxcala/

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where the state house has a formal oil painting of each governor of Massachusetts, starting with the British colonial governors.

    P.S. It's still asking if I'm a robot. Answer's still an emphatic, "NO."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever been to Tlaxcala? If not, I would recommend it for a future trip.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
    2. I think I drove through while I blinked... LOL. No, but I have been curious about the "Rhode Island of Mexico."

      Delete
    3. It's a while since I've been there, but Tlaxcala (the city) is quite picturesque... In addition to the murals, it has one of the oldest churches in Mexico, and overlooking the city is a gorgeous basilica. Definitely worth a visit.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  6. Well just for the record! I'm not very computer saavy rather I just
    read A LOT and your clues were very helpful! I would want to
    figure it out myself anyway!! Thanks for the very interesting post
    on Tlaxcala and I will have to go there now!
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that computer saavy either, and I had no idea you could search to identify an image.
      Yes, you should visit Tlaxcala... quite easy to get to from either Mexico City or Puebla.
      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete