from airplane

from airplane

Sunday, November 2, 2014

A "Welcome to Mexico City" Supper

Yesterday, Alejandro and I flew back to Mexico City.  Except for an hour delay for the flight from Houston to Mexico City, everything went smoothly. 

The weather here was cloudy but dry (I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rainy season is over).  The temperature of 63 degrees was definitely preferable to the 39 degrees in Cleveland.

After I had settled into the apartment that I am renting, Alejandro suggested that we go out to eat at our favorite restaurant in Mexico City, "Angelopolitano".  I have written about this restaurant previously, but it is so good that I will sing its praises again.  It is a short walk from my apartment, and is located in the neighborhood of "Roma Norte" which is one of the "in" places for fine dining in Mexico City.  The restaurant specializes in the cuisine of the Mexican state of Puebla where many of Mexico's classic dishes originated.  It is, in my opinion, the best place to sample gourmet Mexican cooking.


As a beverage we ordered a pitcher of lemon water flavored with ginger and strawberries.  Very refreshing!  I had a delicious cream of poblano pepper soup, and Alejandro had "sopa de habas", a soup made with beans similar to our lima beans.


(Notice the tee-shirt that Alejandro was wearing for "The Day of the Dead".)

Even though there are so many tempting choices on the menu, for us there was no question as to what our entree would be.  Late summer and autumn are the season for Mexico's most exquisite dish, "chiles en nogada".  A poblano pepper is stuffed with a mixture of meat, fruit and nuts, covered with a cream walnut sauce and garnished with pomegranate seeds and greens.  It is incredibly delicious, and "Angelopolitano" makes the best "chiles en nogada" that either one of us have ever tasted!  I was in heaven!



Because its colors are those of the Mexican flag, "chiles en nogada"
is the traditional dish for Mexico's Independence Day on September 16th.

As I mentioned, yesterday was the Day of the Dead ("Dia de los Muertos").  I have written at some length about the Day of the Dead in earlier entries last year ... so I will simply end with a photo of the decorations outside a restaurant we passed on the way back to the apartment.



6 comments:

  1. I love Alejandro's T-Shirt. I'll have to try that restaurant the next time I'm in DF. I've never been there.

    Saludos y que se diviertan!

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where its is snowing. SNOWING!!!! The nerve!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you would love "Angelopolitano" even though they probably won't have "chiles en nogada" in the winter.
      Alejandro's t-shirt was custom made at the "tianguis" in his neighborhood.
      Sorry about the snow. It was quite chilly this morning, but warmed up to around 70 this afternoon.
      Saludos y abrazos,
      Bill

      Delete
  2. LOVE the dog! Meal looks delicioius. CU soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever had "chiles en nogada"? I personally think it is the masterpiece of Mexican cuisine.
      ¡Hasta pronto!

      Delete
    2. Mmmmmh chiles en nogada, I thought they were served in September only (because of the pomegranate season). I can see that you guys really, really enjoyed your supper. Have a great time!

      Delete
    3. Hi Tino,
      I suspect that this restaurant will soon stop serving "chiles en nogada" until next fall. When we were there last winter they weren't on the menu.
      There are some restaurants that serve them all year long... although in some of those places the chiles are not nearly as good.
      I thought the season for "chiles en nogada" had more to do with when the walnuts are harvested. (In Ohio, the supermarkets still are selling fresh pomegranates.)
      ¡Saludos!

      Delete