city at night

city at night

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Another Dining Recommendation

After our Saturday morning boat ride along the canals of Xochimilco, Alejandro and I drove back to my apartment.  The traffic was horrendous.  Not only was it a holiday weekend (Revolution Day was not until Thursday, but most people had Monday off), but it was also "el Buen Fin", the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.  It seemed as if everyone were on the road, and the drive took forever.

Back at my apartment, we were trying to decide what to do that afternoon.  I didn't want Alejandro to have to put up with any more weekend traffic, so I suggested that we take the subway downtown to the "Centro Histórico".  The subway was packed like sardines, and Madero Street, the pedestrianized main street of the "centro" was thronged with people too.  We went to the art exhibit at the Palacio de Iturbide which I had seen earlier in the week.  It was such an excellent exhibit that I did not mind visiting it again.  Alejandro was thoroughly impressed with the display of Mexican paintings which spanned the centuries from colonial times to the present day.  For me it was more fun the second time around since I had someone with me to comment on the art. 

It was then time to eat, and I suggested a well-known restaurant in the "centro"... El Cardenal.  I mentioned El Cardenal some months ago in an earlier post.  The restaurant receives high praise in the reviews on TripAdvisor.  I first visited the place three years ago for a late breakfast after attending a Sunday morning performance of the "Ballet Folklórico".  I was not that impressed.  However, on a later trip, I gave it another try, and I had an excellent dinner there. 

El Cardenal is a very elegant, old-style restaurant that serves traditional Mexican recipes.  One can imagine, in decades past, well-dressed society matrons and businessmen in suits and ties lunching here.  Today, the dress code is not so formal, but the atmosphere is still quite grand.  We were ushered into an elevator to take us to the upper story dining room.

Alejandro had chicken covered in a salsa prepared in a "molcajete".  A "molcajete" is the Pre-Hispanic version of a mortar and pestle.  It is made of volcanic stone, and, before the advent of the electric blender, it was used for grinding the ingredients for salsa.  Alejandro said his meal was delicious.

 
 
I had pork with "mole negro".  "Mole"  (pronounced - MOH- lay) is a complex sauce made with a huge variety of ingredients.  There are many different kinds of "moles".  "Mole Negro" is from the state of Oaxaca, and is considered "the King of Moles".  One of its many ingredients is chocolate, which gives it its dark color.  It was excellent!  Alejandro, who is a very good judge of "mole", had a taste, and he concurred.  The meal was served with wonderful, hot, home-made tortillas.  Alejandro says, "You can't have 'mole' without tortillas!"
 
(photo taken by Alejandro)

 
For dessert we both had "flan".  "Flan" is a custard that is typical in both Spain and Mexico.  I think it was perhaps the best "flan" that I have ever had in a restaurant!
 
 
 
 

The prices at El Cardenal are not cheap, but you definitely get good quality for your money.  I would have to place it up there with our favorite restaurant, Angelopolitano,. as a recommended place for superb Mexican dining.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Haven't had flan in ages and it still is my favorite dessert..........right up there with pecan pie. Ha.......Ya'll look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. It's a really good restaurant to keep in mind the next time you go to D.F. Of course, there are so many wonderful restaurants there.

      Delete
  2. So I guess this makes you a "mole 'flanatic?'"

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we'd also suggest Los Girasoles, across from the Italianate post office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I've not heard of Los Girasoles. I'll have to give it a try in the future.
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete