city at night

city at night

Friday, February 28, 2014

My painting so far

In my last post I mentioned that I was going to do a painting based on a landscape by the nineteenth century Mexican artist José María Velasco.

Well, I have started work on it, and I just finished the sky, which is perhaps the most difficult part of the painting.

Here is my work so far...


 
 
 
The canvas is 24 x 18 inches, and I, as always, I am using acrylic paints.
 
 
If you compare it with the original work by Velasco...
 
 
(image from the web)
 
 
... you can see that I am not attempting to do an exact copy of his work.  Also I know that my colors are different. Seeing as I am mildly colorblind, it would be very difficult for me to try to duplicate the colors.  I suppose that my colorblindness is the reason why my colors tend to quite vivid.
 
Next step is to paint the mountains.
 
 


5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so envious of your talent. I've taken many classes but to no avail.......Your sky is wonderful, already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite impressive! Especially given your slight colorblindness. I think I like your sky better than Velasco's. I'm eager to see the finished work.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we'll stick with snapping photos and tweaking them in Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I take that as a great compliment. Actually, the painting by Velasco that I chose is not one of favorites of his. I wonder if it might not be an early work of his. Many of his other paintings are much more striking. I picked it because I like the view.
      ¡Muchísimas gracias!
      Saludos,
      Bill

      Delete
  3. Maybe you can paint a Chilango and his friends climbing the mountains in your painting.
    LOL.

    ReplyDelete