city at night

city at night

Thursday, February 6, 2014

More cheap eats

Last week I mentioned a little place called "Kousmine Delight" where I had a very good and very cheap meal.  Yesterday after returning from the Jamaica Market, I stopped there again to eat.  This time I had my camera with me, so I can show you what I had for 100 pesos (less than $8).

 The restaurant is one of several little places along Calle Parral near Parque de España in Condesa.

 First course was tomato basil soup.  Also included in the meal was a basket of bread, and a glass of "agua fresca".   An "agua fresca" is water with some sort of flavor, usually some kind of fruit.  The "agua" yesterday was "agua de guanábana".  "Guanábana" is a tropical fruit which is called soursop in English.  And in this case you don't have to worry about drinking the water.  Any decent restaurant is going to make their "aguas" using purified water!

The next course was a very nicely presented salad of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, apple, and jícama (a root plant common in Mexico) with a citrus yogurt dressing.

The main course was chicken brochettes served with a sauce made from tomatoes, peanuts and chiles.  It was accompanied by squash and rice.  
At home sometimes I will make a quick sauce out of tomato sauce, peanut butter and Tabasco, and serve it over chicken or pasta.  Some of my friends will look at me with an expression of disgust when I tell them about my concoction.  But now I feel vindicated!  Here is a restaurant serving practically the same sauce.

Finally, a light dessert, a sort of mousse made from melon, was served.  A pretty good deal for less than $8, wouldn't you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment