zocalo

zocalo

Monday, August 7, 2023

Sunday Tamales

 Yesterday morning, Alejandro and I walked to the little plaza in front of the parish church.


(The church atrium was still decorated from the feast day of St. James the Apostle, July 25th.)

We walked over to the plaza because on Sundays, and Sundays only, there is cart selling excellent tamales.  The large steamers are filled with tamales wrapped in corn husks.  They were nearly sold out, but we bought six to take home for breakfast.  Alejandro's sister and nephew are away on an excursion, so it was just the three of us, Alejandro, his father and me.  So, two tamales per person.


I had a "tamal" filled with "rajas", strips of jalapeño peppers.   It was delicious. 


I also split a sweet "tamal" with Alejandro's dad.  The sweet tamales are not my favorite, but this one was good, filled with a generous amount of blackberry jam.  We still had three tamales left to save for supper.

In addition, we stopped at a fruit and vegetable stand near the church.  I had a hankering for an avocado, so we bought three of them.  The lady at the stand picked out avocados that were ripe and ready to eat that day.  They also had wedges of watermelon that were so red that I said that we should buy on them.  It was indeed ripe and juicy and sweeter than any watermelon I have had in a long time!  Alejandro also bought a bag of "nopales", sliced cactus.  "Nopales" are not my favorite, but Alejandro and his father eat a lot of them since they are supposed to be very good for diabetes.

It was a very good, and very Mexican breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment