zocalo

zocalo

Friday, August 18, 2023

More Waiting... But Progress

I wrote in my last post, that I had to schedule another appointment at the "Instituto Nacional de Migración" because I was missing one document.  I also needed to show my husband Alejandro's voter ID card as proof of his Mexican citizenship.  I spent the entire afternoon on Wednesday waiting in line, and I finally got an appointment for Thursday at 11:30 A.M.

Thursday morning Alejandro drove me to the "Instituto", a journey of about an hour in Mexico City traffic.  We waited outside until I was called into the building shortly after 11:30. I stood in line with others who had an 11:30 time slot.  Then some of us were led to another area where we could sit down.  We played "musical chairs"; each time someone was called up to the counter, the rest of us would all move up a chair.  About two hours had passed between the time I entered the building and when I was finally called up to the counter.  The lady who waited on me was the same person I saw the day before.  She remembered me and asked me if had the items I needed.  Everything was in order (thank goodness!), but I was at the counter for about twenty minutes while she recorded information and had the paperwork authorized by someone else.  I also had to pay a fee of around 445 USD.  (Credit cards are accepted.)

The lady then gave a paper and sent me to another office where I received my "CURP".


"CURP" stands for "Clave única de registro de población"... Unique Population Registry Code.  Every resident of Mexico, whether a citizen or foreigner, has a "CURP" number, and now I have one.  

The final step was to go to "biometrics" office, where I assume I will be fingerprinted and photographed... and then I will receive my residency card.  However, that office was already closed for the day.  So, today I will have to return once again to the "Instituto Nacional de Migración".  However, this time I will not have to wait in line.  I will just show my passport and my "CURP" at the door and go directly to the "biometrics" office. I will leave as a legal resident of Mexico!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment