from airplane

from airplane

Friday, February 24, 2023

A Taste from the Past

On Wednesday after visiting the exhibit at the "Frontón México", I walked the 3.7 miles back to my apartment.  As I headed down Insurgentes Avenue I remembered a tiny restaurant I used to frequent back when I rented an Airbnb apartment in the neighborhood of Condesa.  I had not been there in years, and I wondered if it was still there.

I turned off of Insurgentes onto Tabasco Street, and there it was... Fonda Xnic.


The place consists of nothing more than a hole-in-the-wall kitchen and four tables on the sidewalk.  They serve basically one thing... "cochinita pibil", Yucatán's version of pulled pork.  The menu is about the same as it was before.


Other than a couple of soups and desserts, they have "cochinita" tacos, "tortas de cochinita" (sandwich on a crusty roll) and "panuchos de cochinita" ("cochinita" on a crisp, fried tortilla).  They now offer beer which they did not have before.

I ordered what I always used to order... package #1... which includes soup (I had bean soup), a "torta", two tacos and an "agua fresca"* (I had "jamaica" with peppermint.)




It was and still is a nice lunch.  With inflation the price has gone up from 110 pesos to 130 pesos... about seven dollars.  

* "Agua fresca" is water flavored usually with fruit and sugar.  "Jamaica", one of the most popular "aguas" is a tea made from hibiscus flowers, sugar and lime juice and served cold. 


2 comments:

  1. Eating this tasty food requires a long walk home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really that large of a lunch, at least not for me.

      Delete