city at night

city at night

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

No Plastic!

What does Mexico City have in common with my home of Cuyahoga County in Ohio?




The sign on this kiosk along Insurgentes Avenue reads...


Did you know that by 2050 there will be more plastic in the sea than fish.

Bags don't disappear.
Fish do.

At the beginning of this year
single use plastic bags
will not be permitted.

In Mexico City we contribute to the environment and the planet.

The same law went into effect in Cuyahoga Country (Cleveland) on January 1st.  I have alway carried a shopping bag when I go to the supermarket, both here and in Ohio.  However, now I will have to remember to take a bag when I go to any type of store.  I am not sure how rigorously the law is being followed here in Mexico City.  The other day when Alejandro and I went to the neighborhood bakery for bread, they gave us a plastic bag.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these laws, which are spreading across the planet, will eventually have a positive effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment