city at night

city at night

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

At the Movies




This past weekend Alejandro and I went to the movies and saw a couple more films that have received Academy Award nominations.  We headed to the Cinemex (one of two major movie theater chains in Mexico) that is located in the Mexico City World Trade Center just a five minute walk from the apartment that I rent.

On Saturday we went to see "Mujercitas"... "Little Women" which has been nominated for Best Picture of the Year.   Believe it or not, I have never read the novel by Louisa May Alcott, nor have I seen any of the previous film versions of the book.  Probably because of that, I found the movie very confusing.  The director, Greta Gerwig, is constantly jumping back and forth chronologically in time.  The acting is very well done, and it was nice to see a movie without a single cuss word, but I don't think that it deserves the Oscar.  My choice is still "1917".

On Sunday we saw "Judy", a biopic about Judy Garland.  Renee Zellweger has been nominated as Best Actress.


In spite of her talent, I have never been a big fan of Judy Garland.  Her boozing and pill-popping were a turn-off for me.  However, this movie certainly provides insight into her tragic life.  Zellweger's performance is electrifying, and, in my opinion, deserving of the Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment