city at night

city at night

Friday, November 10, 2017

Walking Back

After visiting the University Cultural Center and sculptures in the lava fields, I decided that I would walk back to my apartment.  After all, I haven't done a really long walk yet on this trip.  I had put on sun block earlier, and I had a bottle of water with me.  If it turned out to be too much, I could always hop on the Metrobus.

My main concern was whether or not there were sidewalks this far south on Insurgentes Avenue.  It turned out that there were.  Busy Insurgentes was to my left, and the fenced-in nature reserve of the lava bed was to my right.


I soon reached the main campus of the University of Mexico.  Its architecture and the murals decorating many of the buildings have gained it recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  I have written about the campus previously, but I could not resist pausing to take a few photos.


The University Library is one of the most photographed buildings in Mexico City.  All four sides are covered with mosaics that were created by the painter Juan O'Gorman.



On the other side of the avenue is the Olympic Stadium, scene of the 1968 Summer Olympics.  It is decorated with a stone mural designed by Diego Rivera.



After passing the campus I was back in the heart of the city.  Glistening in the bright afternoon sun is the headquarters of Conagua, the National Water Commission.


I was now in the neighborhood of San Angel, one of the most picturesque, colonial sections of the city.  You would never know that, however, for all the high-rise buildings along the avenue.


And more are under construction.



The tiled domes of the colonial Carmen Convent give a hint of the historic neighborhood that lies beyond the busy thoroughfare.



La Bombilla Park is dominated by the monument to President Alvaro Obregón, who was assassinated here in 1928.



Did I mention that San Angel is a very affluent neighborhood?



I continued northward along Insurgentes.   The signs said that I was in the neighborhood of Colonia Agrícola.  It certainly doesn't look agricultural.




I passed the Insurgentes Theater which I wrote about some time ago.  It too is decorated with Diego Rivera murals.



Ahead I was able to see a building that I had only been able to glimpse from the window of the Metrobus... Torre Manacar.


Located at the intersection of Insurgentes and Río Mixcoac Avenues, this impressive 30 story high-rise is almost finished and will house stores and offices.



A big Christmas tree has already been set up by the Liverpool Department Store... just to let you know that Christmas is on its way.



By this time I had walked for two hours (including stops to take photos) and about four miles.  I had reached a section of the avenue which I had previously traversed on foot.  So I decided to give in and take the Metrobus the rest of the way back to the apartment.

2 comments:

  1. That was quite a walk! But then again, I find Insurgentes as a whole quite walkable, all the way to the Cuicuilco area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Cuicuilco, but I have not walked there. But I guess it isn't that much farther south along Insugentes.

      Delete