city at night

city at night

Saturday, November 4, 2017

More Music on the Plaza

On Monday I returned by myself to the main plaza to hear another free concert.  The theme for the day was "Bands and Orchestras".

When I arrived the Symphonic Band of Mexico City was playing.  This group is made up of amateur musicians who play together as a hobby.  Their selections were all of traditional Mexican songs.



There was then a half hour intermission, so I went over to the Cathedral of Mexico City.



I wanted to check out the "ofrenda", or Day of the Dead display, which is set up inside the Cathedral each year.  This year's theme was the apparitions of the Virgin of Guadalupe.  I always find it interesting that even here the humorous attitude towar death is still evident.



I was back to the plaza in time to hear the next group, the Youth Orchestra of Mexico City.
A number of the young people had their faces painted for Day of the Dead.





By this time, night was falling upon the city. 




Next up was the Mariachi Band of the Secretariat of Public Safety.  They were dressed in uniform rather than the typical mariachi attire.



If you look closely at the video, you can see that it had started to rain.  It was time for me to put my camera away and go back to the apartment.



No comments:

Post a Comment