Saturday night Alejandro and I took the Metrobus down Insurgentes Avenue to a restaurant where we have dined before... "Los Almendros". "Los Almendros" (The Almond Trees) serves the cuisine of the Yucatan Peninsula, which is quite distinct from the food in the rest of Mexico. It is part of a chain; I have eaten several times at "Los Almendros" in Mérida, the capital of the state of Yucatán. From my experience, I actually like the one in Mexico City more than the one in Mérida.
We arrived at 8:00 PM (the restaurant closes at 10), and we were the only ones there. I suspect that most of their business is in the afternoon, which is the time for the main meal of the day in Mexico. Since there was no one else there, our waitress was exceptionally attentive.
To begin we both ordered "crema de Xcatic", a cream soup with cheese and "xcatic", a type of pepper typical of the Yucatan. It was excellent, although some mind find it a bit too spicy.
Alejandro's main course was "poc chuc", a grilled pork cutlet flavored with the juice of bitter oranges, tomatoes, onions and various spices.
My main dish was "pollo ticuleño" (chicken in the style of the town of Ticul). The breaded chicken cutlet was served with a home-made sauce, peas, ham, cheese and plantain.
For dessert, Alejandro had lime-flavored cheese cake, and I had flan.
Everything was excellent... the elegant atmosphere, the wonderful service, and the delicious food!




No comments:
Post a Comment