mexico

mexico

Monday, July 27, 2026

Traditionally Swiss

 After our spectacular train ride over the Furka Pass, we continued our journey on a bus.  Transportation by bus as well by train is an excellent means of  traveling in Switzerland between one city and another.


We got off the bus at  Brig, a city of 12,000 people in the canton of Valais.  After the little Alpine villages through which we had traveled, Brig seemed like a metropolis.


Valais is a bilingual canton.  Most of the canton is French-speaking, but the eastern part where Brig is located is German-speaking.

We walked a short distance to a restaurant called Wallisterstuba, which in Swiss German means Valais Parlor.  The menu included mainly of traditional Swiss dishes.

Helen ordered a dish with the off-putting name of "Cholera"... yes, cholera like the disease.  The menu explained that "Cholera is a traditional dish from Valais filled with potatoes, vegetables, apples and cheese.  Originally created during a cholera epidemic around 1830, when people no longer left their homes due to the risk of infection and prepared dishes from ingredients that were commonly available in the pantry and one's own garden at that time."  (Translated by Google Translate)


One of the traditional dishes of Valais is fondue.  I have eaten fondue many times, but never in Switzerland.  We have a very nice fondue restaurant just a short walk from the apartment in Mexico City, but I was interested in seeing how it compares to the real thing.  So, Walter and I shared a fondue pot.


I will say that this was the best fondue that I have had.  However, the place in Mexico City compares quite favorably, and I would not be ashamed to take my Swiss cousins there if they visit Mexico City.

No comments:

Post a Comment