flowers

flowers

Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Ring

Alejandro and I purchased our wedding rings in August of last year.  He had found a picture on the internet of a silver wedding band with a textured surface that he liked.  I liked it too, but I was doubtful that we would be able to find something similar in the jewelry shops of Mexico City.

One Saturday we went downtown to Madero Street in the Historic Center.  In colonial times the street was called the Street of the Silversmiths.  It still has numerous "Centros Joyeros" (Jewelers' Centers) that are like mini-malls filled with jewelers' booths.  We walked around several of these "Centros".  Most of the jewelers dealt in gold, and there was nothing similar to what we wanted in the booths that did silver jewelry.  

Finally, someone gave us the address of a person who did custom designs.  He was located in another "Centro Joyero" on Palma Street just a block from the main plaza.  We went to the place and managed to find the jeweler who had a booth upstairs.  Alejandro had the photo of the ring on his cellphone and showed it to the jeweler.  He said that he would be able to do an approximation.  He took our ring sizes.  When he told us the price we were flabbergasted.  We thought at first that he was giving us just the price for doing the original design, but no.  It was the total price for both rings in sterling silver... around 75 U.S. dollars!

By the time that I returned on my next trip, the rings were ready.  We made another trip downtown to pick them up.   They were beautiful and fit us perfectly.   The numbers 925 are stamped inside the rings, indicating that they are 92.5% pure silver... sterling silver. I tucked them away in the apartment until our wedding day on Valentine's Day.

Here's a photo that I took of my ring...


Probably on my next trip, we will take the rings back to the jeweler and have the insides engraved with our wedding date.

We lucked out on an incredibly affordable price, but I absolutely love my ring!

4 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! I'm so happy for the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Muchas gracias, Catalina!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Beautiful rings...and what a bargain too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither one of us could believe the price.

      Delete