from airplane

from airplane

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

The First Daylily

I have a large variety of daylilies in my flower beds that bloom at different times during the growing season.  The first is always a clump with yellow flowers at the side of the house.  Yesterday I noticed the first blossom peeking out from the foliage.  (I then sprayed the buds that are emerging on that clump with deer repellant before my nocturnal visitors find and devour them!)


The daylilies multiply, and some areas of my garden have become too crowded.  I have started doing some transplanting.  In front of my house, I used to have a pin oak.  Since the grass did not grow under the tree, I planted a large area with pachysandra, a ground cover.  Some years ago, the pin oak fell in a storm.  I planted a few shrubs in that space, most notably a Japanese willow.  Last year, when I had landscapers put in a new front lawn, they replaced the rotting landscape timbers that surrounded the pachysandra bed with a very nice faux-stone border.  This year I decided that I would remove some of the ground cover and use the space to transplant some daylilies.  Yesterday I put in four plants along the front of the bed.


The day before, I went to the house of my friend Gayle.  She has a very pretty variety of daylily that has a double blossom.  It's a type that I do not have.  Gayle said that I could dig a few plants out of her garden to transplant.  I took a couple small clumps of her daylilies and planted one at either corner of the bed.

 


Alltogether I now have six daylilies across the front, and, as I continue work, I will probably plant more throughout the bed.  The transplanted lilies may or may not bloom this year, but, as they grow and multiply, they should add a nice splash of color to the bed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm SO envious. I loved having daylilies in the USA. Too bad I didn't have the sense to bring some to SMA. I had about 10 or 12 varieties. Congrats on your first bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that you can't find any daylilies in Mexico. I remember, many years ago, seeing loads of daylilies in the gardens of an ex-hacienda outside of Xalapa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if I ever see them, I will try to get a few but now my days of going to nurseries or hunting around are over pretty much.....maybe I will post a message on the Civil List here in SMA and see if anyone has any!
    Thanks for telling me about that!

    ReplyDelete