flowers

flowers

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Another Trip Downtown

Since I needed to send off the postcard which I had written to fellow blogger Gary Denness, I took another trip downtown last week.  After hitting the main post office, I headed toward the city's main square, the Zócalo.  After all, how could I be in Mexico City without making at least a quick visit to its heart?


The Cathedral was open, so I went inside.  It was noon, and mass was being said.  There were not many attending, but, even so, the worshippers outnumbered the tourists.  There were only a handful of people walking along the side naves.








The National Palace, which is usually a popular tourist draw because of its Diego Rivera murals, is still closed.  Metal barricades surround the building, just in case there should be another attack by angry feminists, I suppose.



Just beyond the Zócalo, the archaeological site of the "Templo Mayor" is also closed.  You could not even look down on the ruins from the adjacent street.  It was blocked off, probably because of the damage from a recent hailstorm.  The fellows dressed as Aztecs who give "spiritual cleansings" to the tourists were just standing around.  There were no tourists to "cleanse".

From the Zócalo I continued down pedestrianized Madero Street.  The street was fairly busy, but it did not seem as lively as usual.


Banners on the colonial Palace of Iturbide still advertised the exhibition of Mexican popular art.  It was supposed to run until April of 2020, but I suspect that it closed down before that.  The doors to the palace are now closed.




Although some of the city's museums are open, there are many sights and cultural activities which are closed.  This is definitely not the best time for a tourist to visit the city.


2 comments:

  1. I feel so lucky to have gone on the exclusive Felinski tour before Covid! I do hope to return someday to a wide open CDMX.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although, of course, I am ecstatic to be here again, right now Mexico City just does not feel the same.

      Delete