city at night

city at night

Friday, November 27, 2020

Thanksgiving a la Mexicana

I spent Thanksgiving by myself, but I did buy a small turkey breast at the supermarket for the occasion.  However, that it where any semblance between my Thanksgiving dinner and the traditional feast ended.

My meal had a definite Mexican spin.  That is not so bizarre when you consider that the turkey was first domesticated in pre-Hispanic Mexico.  The word commonly used in Mexico for turkey is "guajolote" which comes from "wuehxolotl", the name in Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs.

For my "guajolote", I took out of the freezer some Mexican peanut sauce which I had made a while ago.  The sauce is generally served with poultry.  When I removed my diminutive bird from the oven, I spooned the sauce onto the slices of turkey breast, and garnished it with some chopped cashews.

To accompany the turkey I opened a can of "frijoles refritos" (refried beans) and doctored it up with sautéed onions, jalapeño slices and shredded "Mexican style" cheese and garnished it with some sour cream.  I had also purchased a small bag of coleslaw.  Although coleslaw is unknown in Mexico, I made a spicy version with chipotle mayonnaise.


   It was a very tasty, albeit unorthodox, Thanksgiving dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment