from airplane

from airplane

Friday, March 13, 2020

Since I Can't Go to the Gym...

I have been faithfully going each weekday to the local recreation center where I have been putting in an hour and a half workout each day.   There have been very few people there the last several days, so, as long as they had disinfectant spray for the exercise machines, I did not feel that it was a hotbed of contagion.  Today, however, when I drove there shortly before noon, and saw only a couple of cars in the parking lot, I knew it was closed.  Nevertheless, I parked the car, and went to read the sign on the door.  The rec center will be closed indefinitely due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Since it was a nice, sunny day I decided that I would get my exercise by taking a walk in the Cleveland Metroparks.  The Metroparks, often referred to as "The Emerald Necklace" are a series of parks that encircle much of Greater Cleveland and which cover over 23,000 acres.  I drove to the Rocky River Reservation which is just 1.5 miles from my house.



I parked my car at the overlook of Berea Falls, near the southern entrance to the reservation.





From there I followed the all-purpose trail (for walkers, joggers and bikers) which heads north through the reservation for more than 13 miles almost to the shore of Lake Erie.  



Of course the trees are not yet in leaf.  In a couple months this will be a beautiful, green forest.  I did hear some song birds and some croaking frogs, so spring is on the way.




The path follows the course of the Rocky River.  We always refer to it as the Rocky River, I suppose to distinguish it from the Cleveland suburb of Rocky River which is located by the river's mouth on the shore of Lake Erie.  The river was rather swollen, and you don't see the rocks which give it its name.





This small lake is known as the Lagoon.



A boggy area next to the Lagoon.




Every March there is a "maple sugaring" event in the park.  The maple trees are tapped, the sap is collected, and it is boiled down into maple syrup.  I wonder if the event will be held this weekend since the governor has prohibited any gathering of more than 100 people.



After an hour of walking, I reached the area known as Cedar Point (not to be confused with the famous amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio).  Here cliffs of shale tower over the river.  On top of the cliffs there are traces of ancient earthworks which were built by Native Americans.



I then headed back to the car.  My two hour walk was a round trip of six miles, so I guess I made up for not going to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment