city at night

city at night

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Postcards from Home



My readers may remember that on my last trip to Mexico, Alejandro's 9 year old nephew, Ezra, asked me for my address so that he could write me a letter after I returned home.  (Well, he still hasn't written me a letter.)  Before I left Mexico City in February, I bought a postcard and mailed it to Ezra.  I was back home in Ohio for at least a couple of weeks before he received it.  (The card was sent from Mexico City's main post office to an address within Mexico City!)  Ezra was really thrilled to receive something in the mail, even though it took forever to arrive.

Soon after returning home, I bought a couple of Ohio postcards to send him.  I sent one at the end of February, and he received it yesterday.  The postcard had been written before the current crisis, and Ezra excitedly said to his uncle, "He's still coming to visit us in April!"  Alejandro had to explain to him that the plans had changed since the card was sent.

Today I made out the other postcard and sent it to Ezra.  (The card, pictured above, is of Marblehead Lighthouse.  It is the oldest lighthouse on the Great Lakes, and it is located about an hour from where I live.)

I needed to buy a stamp for the card.  (Postage costs $1.20, far more than the postcard cost.)  Since it was a mild, sunny day I decided to walk to the post office.  Although we are under stay-at-home orders in Ohio, we are allowed to go outside for exercise, be it walking, jogging, running or bicycling, as long as we keep our distance from others.  Fortunately, when I entered the post office the customers were all keeping the recommended distance from each other.

My walk was 4.7 miles round trip, so I got my exercise for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment