from airplane

from airplane

Monday, December 4, 2017

Missing Virtues

During my recent trip to Mexico City, I showed you a picture of damage done to the Cathedral in the September earthquake.  Above the bell tower there were statues of the three virtues, Faith, Hope and Charity.  These were designed by Manuel Tolsá, the famous architect and sculptor who transformed the face of Mexico City during the late colonial period.  One of the three statues, that of Hope, had crashed to the ground during the earthquake.



I did not, however, show you, another photo which I took later in the trip.  To ensure that the remaining two statues will not face a similar fate, Faith and Charity had been carefully removed from the tower.


Those sculptures, I assume, will be placed in one of the city's many museums... perhaps the National Museum of Art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment