city at night

city at night

Sunday, September 3, 2017

Something New Downtown

Last Wednesday I wanted to get out of the apartment because it was the day for the cleaning lady to come in.  However, I didn't know where to go.  I decided to head to the “Centro Histórico” because I always find something of interest there.  Sure enough, after wandering the streets a bit, I came upon something I had not seen before... "Futura CDMX".  I'm not sure if you would classify it as a museum, but this brand new attraction which deals with Mexico City is quite interesting.


After paying your admission, your are ushered on the hour into a large hall with bleacher style seating on all four sides.  In the center is an enormous model (2500 square feet in size) of the entire city.  A movie is shown on a screen above. (The movie that I saw was about Tenochtitlan, the Aztec capital upon whose ruins Mexico City is built.)  Then lights are projected upon the model to show the growth of the city, borders of its "delegaciones" (boroughs), the subway lines, etc.




After the presentation you are allowed to head down to the model and study it more closely.


From there you go to an interactive hall where you can learn more about Mexico City.  There are screens which will show you maps and pictures of the city from different time periods, from the earliest settlement of the Valley of Mexico to the present day.  On other screens you can compare statistics on Mexico City with several other large cities throughout the world.  I have stated several times on this blog that Mexico City has more museums than any other city in the world.  Well, that it is not true.  Mexico City does have more than 150 museums, but I learned here that London and Sao Paulo, Brazil, have a slightly higher number.  I also learned that even though Mexico City is infamous for its pollution, New York City has a higher emission of CO2. 

You can even make a short video of yourself giving your thoughts on Mexico City.  I said that even though Mexico City is exhausting and annoying, it is the most exciting and fascinating city that I have ever visited. 



2 comments:

  1. Sorry I have not posted a comment in a while. This summer has been a doozy and I now, for the first time, seem to have a few minutes to read your blog. I'm so glad you're enjoying your time there. Back in the 80's, the pollution was so bad in what was then called DF, that the children when asked what color the sky was replied grey. Sad but true. There has been, believe it or not, great improvement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara.
      I've read that the air pollution in Mexico City is now about the same as Los Angeles... not good, but certainly better than it used to be back when DF was considered the most polluted city in the world. There have been plenty of days where the sky actually looks blue. (Not, today, though. We have had a stretch of gray days... not because of pollution, but because of clouds.)

      Delete