city at night

city at night

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Always a Teacher

Yesterday afternoon I had to go to the emergency room.  (Fortunately it turned out to be nothing serious.)  However I was given a prescription to fill at the pharmacy.  The nurse gave me the first pill in the ER at 5:30 PM.  Since the pills are to be taken every 12 hours, I had to set my alarm for 5:30 AM... a bit earlier than when I usually awaken.

The alarm went off, and I got up and took my pill.  I then brushed my teeth, took a shower, shaved and dressed.  There was no time for breakfast, because it's a half hour drive to my school, and I like to be there well before 7 AM so that there is no line-up at the copying machine.  That's all I remember.

The alarm went off.  "Wait a minute, didn't I already get up to take my pill?"  No, it had all been a dream.  Still, I counted out the pills to make sure that I had not taken this morning's dose.

Even though it has been eleven years since I retired, every so often I have dreams that I am still in the classroom.  There is always a sense of relief when I realize that it was just a dream.  I guess once a teacher, always a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment